Kuala Lumpur


I said in the KL Journal Hotel for 3 nights. I loved this hotel; it was very reasonably priced, the rooms were nice and modern, and there was rooftop swimming pool. My room faced the Petronas Towers too.

Included in the room rate was a very good breakfast, which had plenty of choice including pancakes!

To reach the hotel, I took a taxi from KLIA2 airport and this took approximately an hour. It cost RM 84.00 which worked out cheaper than taking the KLIA Express into KL Sentral.


When I arrived at the KL Journal Hotel, my room wasn’t ready so I headed out for some lunch at a local shopping mall and had the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever had! Located on Level 4 – Hawker Market, there were lots of Chinese vendors selling local foods. Many of the menus were in Chinese, so I decided to eat at one where I could understand the menu and ordered sweet and sour chicken for RM 9.00.

I spent the afternoon with my friends who live in Kuala Lumpur; Sara and Naz, and their little baby Abdul Mateen.

In the evening, I walked to the Petronas Towers and through KLCC Park. I went just as the sun was setting so I got to see the incredible towers at light, dusk and night-time. Once it was dark, there was a free water fountain show just in front of the Petronas Towers. I didn’t know this took place, so it was just luck that I was here to see it but I highly recommend catching one of the shows. The showtimes are 8pm, 9pm and 9:45pm daily.

I have a confession to make; dinner was at McDonalds, just on the corner by the KL Journal Hotel! I hate going to different countries and eating at well-known fast food chains, but I wasn’t that hungry from the earlier sweet and sour chicken and McDonalds was just staring me in the face. So I had a McChicken Sandwich.

On my first full day in Kuala Lumpur, I walked 10 minutes from the hotel to the Petronas Towers and purchased a ticket to the viewing platform, 170 metres above ground! The ticket cost RM 85.00, and my time slot was 10am. I spent 10 minutes at the Skybridge, which connects the two towers together and is the world’s highest 2-storey bridge!

I spent 20 minutes at the very top of the Petronas Towers at level 86 and had fantastic views over the city.

Once I’d finished at the Petronas Towers, I walked to the Hard Rock Café to get my pin badge and then made my way back to the hotel via the shopping mall to get some more sweet and sour chicken for lunch.

In the afternoon, I met up with my friends again and they took us to Putrajaya to see the Government buildings and the Putra Mosque. Whilst Naz went inside to pray, Lloyd and I looked round and a lady who worked at the mosque explained Islam to us. It was very interesting.

We then went to Astaka Morocco – Moroccan Pavilion. It was really pretty and peaceful there, and I fell in love with the pretty floor tiles.

Sara and Naz then dropped us off at Central Market, and we said our goodbyes. I was very grateful that they both gave up their time to show us around their beautiful city.

Central Market is a popular tourist attraction and is a great place to come to buy your souvenirs.

I had dinner at a restaurant called Havana, just a 10 minute walk from the KL Journal. The restaurant served burgers, steaks, ribs and pizzas. Lloyd and I both had burgers which were very nice.

The next day, I visited the Batu Caves. To get to the Batu Caves, I walked for 15 minutes to Bukit Bintang monorail station and got the monorail to KL Sentral at a cost of RM 2.50 each. I then followed the signs through the shopping centre to KL Sentral and took the KTM Port Klang line to Batu Caves at a cost of RM 2.60 each. I exited at the Batu Caves station and followed the crowd.

I visited the Ramayana Cave first, which was to the left of the Batu Caves. It cost RM 5.00 each to enter.

I then proceeded to the Batu Caves, where a huge gold statue of Hindu deity Lord Murugan stands before over 200 steps to the entrance of the cave. The climb to the top was tough, especially in the heat.

At the top, there were lots of monkeys trying to steal food and drink from tourists. After spending some time watching the monkeys, I climbed back down the steps and headed back to the train station.

Once I was back in the city, I walked to the Kuala Lumpur City Gallery for a photo with the “I love KL” sign before returning back to The Kuala Lumpur Journal hotel.

I spent the afternoon making use of the rooftop infinity pool at the hotel on level 11, and getting my last bit of Vitamin D in before returning back to the U.K.

My last meal in Malaysia was at a restaurant called The Rabbit Hole, just a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The food was delicious; I had a beef rendang curry. It then started thunder storming and raining really heavy, so we ended up getting a taxi back to the hotel for RM 10.00.

The next morning, I was picked up at 5:45am and made my way to the airport for my 10:25am flight back to London Heathrow.

Please leave any comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *